Sunday, February 5, 2012

When You're Bored

Yesterday, just like always, immediately following breakfast I grew bored and wondered what I was going to do with allll of my day while Phil quickly realized that Saturday morning cartoons weren't an option. :o) We decided to really get to work on the kitchen. We're in the midst of a cheap overhaul. Rather than the quite large figure that Lowes gave us (a comma was involved), we've been able to create the same effect for the simple price of 2 cans of paint.  Before parting ways we reminded each other that the usual jam sessions during work projects wouldn't be happening without a radio...it was almost a pep-talk to ourselves. With Phil outside sanding cabinet doors and me inside elbow deep in painting cabinet interiors, the morning was growing even more boring. Not 30 minutes later I heard the gravel driveway crunching and Phil starts talking with someone out front.

I walk out to find 2 older women on the porch and a 3rd man still sitting in the car. The scene was familiar to me, we had encountered a similar one at a friends house last year. The two women, as sweet as can be, came with a simple message and handed us each a small magazine. Ironically, mine was all about social media. This opened an entire conversation that I'm certain they weren't ready for about our 7 project and the truths surrounding why we were doing it. Cutting out excess in order to deliberately make room for God's whispers to be heard and His heart to fill ours. The conversation continued to a message they came to share that I simply can't agree with because it's just not biblical, but their curiosity about the decisions we have recently made was undeniable. We talked a bit more about the concept of a cluttered (but sadly typical) life that gets in the way of God. They left a bit later, hoping to come back and talk more another time.

Now, I'm not naive, I do realize that they'd love to come back and talk about their  message. I don't really think they're chomping at the bit to hear more about this crazy 7 thing. But any other time I'd most likely dismiss everything, even their presence in front of me, and just try to get back to work. Letting the noise of the radio drown out any further thoughts. Instead, Phil and I realized the door that was opened. We gladly shared how Christ was working in our life at the moment. We also spent the next 30 minutes after they left digging in the Bible, testing all of what we heard, and confirming their false message. You see, when you clear away some clutter and are willing to let God use your time, He'll most certainly deliver....and sometimes right onto your doorstep.


No comments:

Post a Comment