Friday, February 10, 2012

Road Trip!

My sweet friend Katie (yes, she's always sweet) and I are heading on a road trip today. It's been planned for months, but the timing couldn't be more perfect. We're heading to Greenville, NC. My old stompin grounds. I have mixed emotions. But, I'm oh so thrilled to be able to see my old roomie who is now expecting her first precious baby!

We're heading 4.5 hours away in order to go to my old church's women's event. Four years ago I attended this event for the first time, all by myself, just hoping to hear something. I was in college and feeling lonely. Oh, I had friends and we were close, but I was lonely from keeping my Savior from the depths of my heart. I longed for His embrace and didn't know it. So I went, for 2 days, all by myself, and sat....and cried. Lysa Terkeurst spoke for that event and she crushed me. It was a kind, sweet, tap you on the shoulder at the perfectly right time kind of crush. Her story spoke right to the depths of that place that needed filling, but she wouldn't fill it...she simply touched it and let God do the filling.

Here's the ironic part.... I now live just a hop skip and a jump away from Lysa. Her Proverbs 31 Ministries home base is just around the bend from my church. So yes, if I really wanted to see her I could just go on a quick 30 minute drive. But this trip isn't just about hearing Lysa speak again. That's kind of like the excuse. The 4.5 hours is what Katie and I need. Time. Time to sit together, undistracted, and talk....or be silent. That's the thing I like about her most. We can say everything or nothing and still feel like our worries have been heard because after all, its God that does the real listening. It's also God that does the real talking and I'm so thankful to have a friend that listens to the Holy Spirit in our times together. Not just for her own sake, but for mine. So many times she'll speak right to the heart of what I need to hear simply because she lets God talk right through her to me.

So...yes, we're driving 4.5 hours to talk, listen to Lysa a little, and then talk for another 4.5 hours coming home the next day. Give us a break...we're women, and we've got a lot of words to use up! I'm certain our husbands will thank us later.

2 comments:

  1. I think God had an even bigger plan than any of us had imagined for this weekend! How awesome is He to bring together 4 old friends and open our hearts! As Lysa said, "But God..." Wow! That's one of the only words I can seem to think of right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how gracious is our God! I'm so thankful He did have another plan for the weekend. It was so good to see you there and have a chance to catch up over lunch!

    ReplyDelete