Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Chance Encounter

Phil and I were in Dick's Sporting Goods this weekend looking for some clearance shirts we could get for an upcoming missions trip to Haiti (yes, Haiti, more on that to come....). We couldn't find anything, so we were in and out within minutes. The nice older gentleman working as a greeter noticed and asked if there was anything we needed but couldn't find as we were heading out the door. I stopped, and simply stated that we were looking for wicking clothes for a missions trip. He instantly started asking questions about the trip, where we were going, and what church we were with. He then simply asked how we had seen God work in our own lives. After sharing, he then began to tell us his story. His marriage of 14 years ended with his wife leaving him. Not only that, but she took everything they had....the home, cars, and money. She then left him with one statement, "We'll see how your God takes care of you now."    Goosebumps! 

I couldn't imagine being in his situation. But what came next was the true inspiration. While being forced to live in a homeless shelter, he completely surrendered to God who then gave him a true peace about his circumstances. A local church comes to the shelter for a bible study once a week, but he wanted more, so he started his own study with others at the shelter. From this he was able to bring another man living there to Christ. Praise the Lord! This is a man who is truly at peace with his situation, relying on God wholly, and with the courage to share his circumstances to bring God all the glory. 

God used this man within my own life as well. I've been praying recently for the courage to share the love of God with others who I do not know. To notice those small opportunities that Christ puts in front of me and act on them. I'm not going to win someone over and bring them to Christ with some great theology debate...it's not appealing to anyone. I don't know all of the books of the Bible in order, I only have a handful of verse actually memorized, and I'm still learning what all those parables mean. I'm a sinner and certainly not perfect. What I do know...that no one can deny the physical, tangible ways that Christ has worked within someones life. It's so raw and true, just as with this employee's story. Would you pray for my continued strength to surrender to Christ in these instances? This is especially important as I prepare to go to another country to share the love of God with people who are hungry for His mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment